(Update: The video has been removed from Youtube, I’ll see if I can find it elsewhere and repost. Fingers crossed…)
One of the common problems with teaching somebody self-defense is that their views on violence are not realistic. I’ve already covered the reasons why many times before, but here I’d like to point out a specific problem. That of sticking your head in the sand when violence comes your way. All too often, people live their lives as if violence can’t or won’t happen to them. When trouble does start brewing, they act as if they have immunity from harm. This then leads to all sorts of tactical mistakes and next thing they know, they wake up in the hospital. Or not at all.
Case in point:
We don’t know what happened before the video started, what set the guy in the black t-shirt off. But he is royally pissed, we can see that. I don’t want to focus on him right now, the guy in the plaid shirt is the key figure for now.
- When black T-shirt takes off at first, the guy in the plaid shirt just looks at him.
- When black T-shirt comes back shouting “Come on! You!” and closes in fast, he just stares at him.
- When he gets popped in the mouth, plaid shirt still doesn’t react.
- When black T-shirt calls him out, his only response is walking forward slowly, pointing a finger.
- When black T-shirt rushes in in an aggressive manner, he doesn’t react.
The result of all this inaction is that he gets knocked out, hard. I have no idea what happened after the video ends but I hope the guy’s alright.
Here’s the thing: [Read more…]