I just saw this video of a body slam knockout in a street fight. There is some worthwhile information there and I’ll get to that here below. First, take a look at the video:
Here are some of the things I’d like to point out:
- Lost opportunities. Notice how long it takes before there is an actual street fight? There were plenty of opportunities to walk away. White shirt seems to be posturing and isn’t immediately targeting Red shirt. He verbally engages the other men too. At this point, red shirt could have walked away.
- She knows what’s up. The lady in black clearly doesn’t want there to be a fight; she sees it coming a mile off and does all she can to avoid it. Red shirt would have been better off following her cue…
- Don’t punch softly. If you have to throw a punch, punch. But don’t throw a slow and sloppy punch like Red shirt did. It was telegraphed, lacked power, left him off balance and with an opponent at his back. Nothing good comes from that.
- There are no mats in a street fight. Falling on pavement sucks, even if you manage a perfect break fall. If you get body slammed onto your head, it is a lot worse. Red shirt is knocked out immediately.
- There is no “one-on-one” rule in a street fight. Red shirt did a good suplex: He used his body to throw the guy and managed to twist him in the air so he could fall on top of him. But then he makes the mistake of staying on the ground and gets put in a (sloppy) choke hold by White shirt’s buddy. Things could have gone horrible wrong for him too, with his back exposed like that: he could have gotten punched, kicked, stabbed, clobbered, etc. The friend had all the opportunities in the world to finish it hard, but he chose a softer options. Depending on the benevolence of others is not a winning strategy. There is no rule in a street fight that says other people can’t knock you out when you’re winning as you do some ground and pound. Case in point:
- It looks bad. I don’t know what the aftermath of this street fight was, but that body slam was nasty. Sure, it caused a knockout, but when you pause the video on impact, look at the angle his neck is at. Red shirt could be dead or gravely injured. If so, White shirt could go to jail for a long time. Both of them could have avoided this by walking away; they had plenty of opportunity to do so.
All in all, this is a textbook example of both parties making one bad choice after another.
Don’t let this happen to you.
Bernie Rose says
Would be VERY interested to know what happened after this video. Did the guy survive? And clearly the video will show the victim throwing the first “punch,” so would the winner of the fight even be charged? If the loser survived, how fast would his wife lose interest in being married to such an impotent weasel? Lots of interesting questions to consider here. Good post!
As i read the guy died afterwards at a hospital. Don’t know if it’s true but judging by the bodyslam…