Before I go on about how the big kid, Casey Heynes, reacts to getting bullied one too many times, some caveats:
- I wasn’t there, neither were you; so we don’t have the background, nor the context to this video. Which means that all we say about this is speculation and interpretation.
- That means we can only go on what we see in this video and base our conclusions on limited data.
- Which in turn means we can be totally wrong about those conclusions; you, me and everybody who comments here.
- So take let’s stick to opinions and not qualify anything we say here as facts. Unless you were there or know the kids involved, opinion is all you can offer.
That said, here’s the video:
A couple of things stand out:
- The big kid is just standing there. He doesn’t seem all that combative at first.
- The bully is looking for trouble. He smacks a solid punch into the big kid’s face for (apparently) no reason.
- Casey takes the first punch. He blocks the second. He only retaliates when the bully keeps jabbing him in the gut.
If it were my kid, I’d congratulate him for standing up for himself. The bully took his chances and it ended badly for him: from the way he landed and was limping, it looks like a trip to the ER is in order. I have no sympathy for bullies, so tough titty said the kitty.
Had my kid been doing the bullying, he’d get his ass handed to him when he came home. Because I taught him better than that. If he thinks it’s OK to bully people, he’ll get a taste of that by yours truly. Just to show how it feels to be helpless.
Which brings me to another point: Turns out the Casey got suspended for this.
Which his a crying shame if we’re reading the video correctly and he was in fact being bullied continuously as the description on Facebook says.
Modern society seems to have a totally distorted view of violence and what it is for. Back in the day when I was young and big hair was still in fashion, my dad would have kicked my ass for being a bully. And made me go apologize to the kid for doing so, limping in a cast and all. It’s beyond me that the educational system fails to address this and punishes the wrong kid. What more proof than this video do they need that the big kid didn’t start the dance? And then they blame him for finishing it? I guess I’m getting old because the world is making less and less sense to me.
OK, “Rant-mode” off now. :-)
UPDATE: Here’s part two of “Big kid gets bullied one too many times.”
UPDATE: Here’s part three in which Casey Heynes speaks out on video about being bullied..