Something that tends to be overlooked, in particular by young and fit men, is the potential brutal consequences of a street fight and just how extreme these can get. They’ve all seen videos of how a guy gets knocked out and then a few people step in before things get worse, thinking that’s how it goes. For sure, this happens. It happens a lot actually, in particular when you look at the typical dominance display and puff-up-your-chest fighting young, inexperienced men tend to gravitate towards. The critical mistake is thinking this is the only kind of street fight or violence that exists.
There are others.
Here is one such example. As always, a caveat:
- We weren’t there. All observations on this video are nothing but an opinion, not a fact.
- We don’t know what caused this. There is no way of knowing what was said, done or threatened to make this street fight happen.
- I’m not making any judgements on who is right or wrong. I don’t have enough facts to decide on that. My comments pertain only to the incident itself.
Please keep this in mind when you read the rest of this article.
If the video starts from the beginning, skip ahead to 2min. 7sec. That’s where the incident begins.
Some observations about this video:
- It looks like “No-shirt” wants to de-escalate things. We don’t know what he says, but he seems to want to avoid a fight and get away. He goes to grab his jacket and then attempts to leave.
- The other guy escalates it. He gets in the way and blocks No-shirt in his tracks. He also closes into striking distance. No-shirt pushes him away and tries to keep going.
- He strikes first. The other guy opens the fight with a backhand slap to the face and then it’s on.
- Everything goes downhill from there. No-shirt quickly takes the upper hand and things devolve into the brutal consequences I want to talk about here below.
Some lessons we can learn from all of this: [Read more…]